Edit: My take on how hard these are, with weird, likely nonhelpful hints:
-there are two Ani Difranco songs left unidentified. One is kind of obscure, but one is more well known.
-If anyone gets 19, I will likely fall off my chair. It may help to be Canadian.
- I would put 1,3,5,6,13 and 14 into the category of "really hard because the tune is so important to these songs, but you'll kick yourself when you know."
-I would classify 5, 12 & 17 as being by fairly well-known indie singers, but not necessarily well-known songs.
-I just realized that everything on the list is sung by a woman (with the exception of Ewan helping out on #4). I did have a Radiohead song come up originally for #11, but it was instrumental. (And it would have been terribly ironic given the lyrics on #10, because it was "treefingers".)
I'm doing this ipod meme today simply because I actually remembered to bring it with me for once.
[+] hit shuffle on your iPod
[+] list lyrics for the first 20 songs that pop up
[+] cross off the lyrics as they're guessed
1. I've tried so hard and didn't show that you're my every dream.
2. Sometimes I get so weird I even freak myself out. [I'm soooo embarrassed this one is on there!]
3. Holding on, that's what I do since I met you.
4. Never knew, I could feel like this. Like I've never seen the sky before.
5. I sold my ring for a pickup truck, I left my feathered nest. [This may be a cover, I'm not sure.]
6. There was a little boy once upon a time ...every copper penny and clover he would find made him wish for better days. 7. Tuna rubber, little blubber in my igloo, yeah. And I knew you pigtails and all, girls when they fall. 8. It's rock, paper, scissors as to whether I will get over you at all. It's hand against hand and both hands are mine.... 9. Still falling. Breathless and dumb again. Beside today. Beside me today. 10. The wind is ruthless, the trees shake angry fingers to the sky. 11. I'm red and thick like fire. Oh, I got a piece of my heart on the sole of your shoe. You've got a little bit of thunder.
12. Your lonely voice calls across the starlit coast, reaching out to be seen.
13. I drove my car in the middle of the night...the road was dark but the stars were bright....It didn't matter what my friends say, I was gonna see you anyway.
14. I wish I want to stay here. I wish this be enough. I wish I only love you. 15. I opened a bank account when I was nine years old I closed it when I was 18 I gave them every penny that I'd saved and they gave my blood and my urine a number. 16. And they came to the river, and they came from the road. And he wanted a son just to call his own. And they walked on the dirt and they walked from the road.
17. Oh I do believe, in all the things you see. What comes is better, than what came before. And you better, come come come come to me. [this is a cover, and I've no idea who did it originally]
18. ...all the way to New York. I can feel the distance getting close. You're right next to me, but I need an airplane.
19. This is, I am so beautiful and fierce. This is violence and holy words.
20. You go on ahead honey, you have a good time there. You make me feel funny, I'm no ordinary lover or friend.